1. In the actual work, we must first understand the tone of the sound source, decide which frequency to adjust according to the subjective evaluation of the sense of hearing, roughly determine the frequency adjustment range, and open the gain of this frequency to the maximum value for monitoring; The frequency method gradually narrows the frequency range, and determines the frequency when it is confirmed that the sound of a certain frequency point meets the adjustment intention. Then, the frequency gain is gradually reduced. When the auditory frequency equalization ratio is appropriate, the loudness is determined, and the monitor is carefully monitored to confirm whether other frequency bands need to be adjusted until satisfactory.
The instrument is a compound sound. According to the Fourier series, a non-sinusoidal wave is the sum of several sine waves. Therefore, when performing the equalization adjustment, the characteristics of the tone should be considered according to the relationship between the fundamental wave and the harmonics, and the whole picture of music should be reflected as much as possible. When performing frequency equalization of an instrument, it is not effective to increase or decrease the single-point frequency, and each frequency needs to be processed separately. Only by fully utilizing the coordination of the frequencies of the entire audio range can the tone characteristics of the instrument be reflected.
2. When the equalizer is used at a high level, it may cause distortion. This is because the frequency increase increases the level, especially when the boosted frequency is close to the maximum allowable level, such as the total signal level itself is approaching or reaching the maximum. The output state, during the music, those frequencies that are raised are very likely to cause transient distortion, so overload should be avoided.
3. The equalizer also changes the phase response of the signal. Since the change in phase response is non-linear, the transient of the sound is blurred, and the more the amount of equalization changes, the more serious it is, so try to avoid excessively increasing or attenuating. The microphone itself is an equalizer, so the directivity and sensitivity of the microphone will change with frequency. The placement of a microphone corresponds to a balanced setting, so it is important to choose the right microphone and the correct position. The equalization of the microphone should be as close as possible to the desired balance of the signal to be processed to reduce the phase change caused by excessive equalization.
4. When performing equalization processing, it is often the case that the sound of the channel is adjusted and the sound that was previously adjusted is not good when the other signals are equalized. An otherwise significant sound signal does not become prominent due to the improvement of other channel signals, so it must be improved. This will cause an increase in the overall level, and even an overload phenomenon. In this case, attenuation can be used instead of boosting.
5. Since the fundamental frequency of many instruments is in the low and medium frequency bands, and the fundamental frequency determines the pitch, care should be taken when using narrowband equalization, because the excessive increase of the low frequency and intermediate frequency will change the pitch, and the narrowband equalization will be overemphasized. A cow's sound is produced, so you should choose a wideband equalizer when dealing with softer instruments. Broadband equalizers are mainly used to improve a wide range of frequency response defects, while narrowband equalization is used to deal with frequency response problems in special frequency bands.
6. In multi-track recording, especially when time is tight, it is not appropriate to adjust the equalizer sloppyly, and should be adjusted slowly during post-production. Don't use it for the equalizer. Many sounds are fine without an equalizer. Using the equalizer will lose the original sound. The most important function of the equalizer for sound is to polish, only when it is really needed, and the natural sound is the best.
MAONO is an innovative designer and manufacturer of Lavalier, Podcasting, Wireless, Shotgun, Recording microphones and accessories for Smartphone, Camera and PC, etc.