1. Consider the medium-low unit directivity practical boundary frequency f=345/d (d=unit diaphragm effective diameter). Usually, the boundary frequency of the 8" unit is 2k, the boundary frequency of the 6.5" unit is 2.7k, the 5" unit is 3.4k, and the 4" unit is 4.3k. That is to say, using the above unit, the frequency division point cannot be greater than the practical boundary frequency corresponding to each unit.
2. Considering the tuning frequency of the tweeter, the crossover point should be greater than three times the resonant frequency. That is to say, from the perspective of the tweeter, usually the crossover point should be greater than 2.5k.
3. Consider the high-end response Fh of the mid-woofer unit. Usually, the crossover point should not be greater than 1/2 Fh. In fact, the above two conditions of the two-way speaker are difficult to meet at the same time. At this time, the designer should have a better compromise among the three. However, it must be emphasized that the first condition, the practical boundary frequency, should be given priority.
4. In the case of three-way, the farther the two crossover points should be separated (should be above three octaves), the better the system response will be. Otherwise, complex interference radiation will occur.
5. The crossover point of the bass and midrange should consider the problem of vocal image localization. The playback of the vocals should be undertaken by the midrange unit as much as possible to avoid excessive changes in the vocal positioning sound of the vocals. This is often overlooked by designers. Usually this crossover point should be 200-300Hz.
MAONO is an innovative designer and manufacturer of Lavalier, Podcasting, Wireless, Shotgun, Recording microphones and accessories for Smartphone, Camera and PC, etc.